Applying for a course at a higher education provider can seem overwhelming, but we're here to guide you through the application process. Follow this guide on how to apply as an international student.

You are an international student if you are not an:

  • Australian or New Zealand citizen (or dual citizen)
  • Australian permanent resident
  • Australian permanent humanitarian visa holder.

The process below applies to undergraduate and postgraduate coursework applications

Click on a course (undergraduate or postgraduate) to find out more about:

  • what you'll study
  • admissions criteria
  • application deadlines
  • potential career paths.

Inherent requirements

When choosing a course, you should see if it has any inherent requirements (this will be noted on the course page).

They aren't assessable admissions criteria but are required for you to successfully complete the course. Researching the inherent requirements will allow you to make an informed decision about the course/career.

Please refer to the legal framework governing the delivery of education to international students in Australia at

Check your eligibility

You will need to demonstrate that you meet our English language requirements. If you have completed a recognised English language test, the required score can be found on the course page.

For all postgraduate courses, you will need to demonstrate that you have completed a recognised tertiary qualification. Details can be found on the specific course page, and could include previous study in the same field.

You should also check the course page for any additional admissions criteria.

English language requirements

English language requirements depend on the course, your country of origin and educational background. For most courses, you may be able to meet LEA’s English language requirements by completing a recognised Year 12 qualification in English in an English-speaking country. See our English Language Entry Requirement Policy.

Applying for credit

You may be able to have related study or work experience credited to your degree, meaning you won’t have to repeat similar units and could graduate sooner. This is available for equivalent:

  • units of study taken at another university or higher education institution.
  • qualifications from a higher education institution or vocational education and training institution.
  • relevant work experience.

More details on credits can be found in our Recognition of Prior Learning Policy.

If you are applying direct to LEA, you can apply for credit as part of your course application. We will assess your credit after a decision is made on your course application.

Please note: Accepting credit can change your study load, fees or course duration.

You need to be aware that accepting credit could reduce the duration of your student visa.

Gather your documents

We require official documents to support your application, including a scanned copy of your passport identification page.

Other documents you may need include:

  • English language results
  • academic transcripts
  • degree certificates (testamurs)
  • scholarship documentation
  • marriage/change of name certificate.

If your course requires a supplementary application form, this will be listed on the course page.

Documents submitted in a language other than English must be accompanied by a complete English translation made by an accredited translator with a government body or the Registrar of the issuing institution.

Applicants from the People's Republic of China may be required to provide a China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center (CHESICC) verification of their academic documents.

If you are applying for a student visa, the LEA reserves the right to request additional information regarding the government's genuine temporary entrant requirement. This may be requested after your application is submitted and could include an additional application form seeking clarification about your personal circumstances and/or an interview.

Check your finances

Before applying, you should understand the fees you will need to pay. These include:

  • course fees.
  • additional fees and costs.


To apply to study at LEA, click here

Application Outcome

Once your application has been assessed, you will receive an email with the outcome.

Conditional offer

We will sometimes issue a conditional offer - this means that you may need to satisfy certain criteria such as academic and English language conditions before you can be issued with an unconditional offer.

Genuine Temporary Entry Requirements

To study in Australia, you will need to apply for a Student Visa from the Department of Home Affairs and meet the GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) requirement.

To satisfy GTE you must demonstrate you have genuine motivation and commitment to the proposed course of study and your intention is to remain in Australia temporarily for the purpose of completing a qualification. LEA is required to check that all applicants satisfy the GTE requirement before we can issue you with a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE). To assist in meet the requirements, LEA Admissions may ask you to provide additional supporting evidence. For more information about Student Visa and the GTE requirement visit the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website: .

Applying for a Student Visa

You must apply for your Student Visa online at the Department of Home Affairs website: You will need to pay a visa application charge and any other costs associated with your visa application.

LEA cannot complete your Student Visa application for you or help you with the visa application process.

Deferral, Cancellation & Suspension

LEA may defer or suspend or cancel the enrolment of a student on the grounds of, but not limited to:

  • compassionate or compelling circumstances
  • misconduct or misbehaviour by the student
  • the student’s failure to pay an amount he or she is required to pay LEA as stated in the written agreement, or
  • a breach of course progress or attendance requirements by the international student.

Advice about potential impact caused by such changes to student enrolment status should be sought from the Department of Home Affairs.

Comprehensive details on all the above aspects and the procedures are provided in the
International Students Deferral, Cancellation and Suspension of Study Guidelines.

ESOS Framework

Australia provides rigorous protection for international students through the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS Act) and related legislation, (including the National Code of Practice 2018) which protects and enhances Australia’s reputation for quality education, provides tuition protection and supports the integrity of the student visa program.

The Australian Government is committed to high quality educational experiences for international students and has produced a fact sheet containing important information about their rights and responsibilities while studying in Australia. This fact sheet provides information about:

  • Choosing and enrolling in a course of study
  • Support services available in Australia
  • Rights and responsibilities of students on a student visa
  • Working in Australia
  • Making complaints and seeking help.

The links for the following four websites have been provided: