Visa Information

As an international student in Australia you are required to hold a valid visa for the duration of your stay in Australia. The visa required to study is a ‘Student visa’ and you must meet all requirements to be granted a visa.

To apply for the visa, visit the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs.

The conditions of this visa include:

  • Maintaining a full-time study load
  • Making satisfactory academic progress
  • Completing your degree within the timeframe outlined on your eCoE
  • Working hours are based on visa conditions
  • Notifying us of your address within seven days of your arrival, and if you change your address later.
  • Holding Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) from an Australian Government-approved provider for the duration of your visa
  • Maintaining adequate schooling arrangements if you have school-age dependants in Australia
  • Notifying the Institute of any changes to your visa.

Please be aware that changes to your enrolment can impact on your student visa.

Failure to comply with your student visa conditions could impact your ability to stay in the country.

Genuine Temporary Entry Requirements

To study in Australia, you will need to apply for a Student Visa from the Department of Home Affairs and meet the GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) requirement.

To satisfy GTE you must demonstrate you have genuine motivation and commitment to the proposed course of study and your intention is to remain in Australia temporarily for the purpose of completing a qualification. LEA is required to check that all applicants satisfy the GTE requirement before we can issue you with a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE). To assist in meet the requirements, LEA Admissions may ask you to provide additional supporting evidence. For more information about Student Visa and the GTE requirement visit the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website:

Applying for a Student Visa

You must apply for your Student Visa online at the Department of Home Affairs website: You will need to pay a visa application charge and any other costs associated with your visa application.

LIHE cannot complete your Student Visa application for you or help you with the visa application process.

If you require assistance with your visa application, we recommend you use an Education Agent. See “Find an Agent” below.

Overseas Student Health Cover

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is compulsory health insurance for all students for the duration of your visa.

The OSHC helps international students meet the costs of medical and hospital care. It also includes ambulance costs and some pharmaceuticals.

There are many different health insurance providers that offer OSHC. It is recommended you have a look at each and compare the costs and benefits that best suit you.

Health Insurer Insurers website
ahm OSHC
Allianz Global Assistance (Peoplecare Health)
BUPA Australia
CBHS International Health
Medibank Private

You can find detailed information about OSHC and its requirements here.